Kew Bridge

The existing Kew Bridge is the third to be built. The first, made of wood opened in 1759. The second, a stone bridge with seven arches and steep approaches was built 100 feet downstream and opened in 1789. It was totally rebuilt in 1903. Opened by Edward VII, the new structure was named the King Edward VII Bridge in his honour. However, the new name was unpopular and soon reverted to Kew Bridge.

Electric lights were installed in 1957 when the authorities decided to take down the old triple gas lamps but local residents protested so the old gas lamps were retained and now alternate with the newer lamps.

Further downstream, Kew Railway Bridge, opened in 1869, is interesting for its highly unusual decoration. It has cylindrical cast iron piers each one decorated with four columns with ornamental capitals, and at track level there is a sort of tabernacle. Parts of the structure have fallen into sad disrepair.

Upstream view from the bridge.

Downstream view from the bridge.

The north bank beyond the bridge.

Kew Railway Bridge.

The path to the next bridge.

Ann Voysey